I’m graduated!! Although Ahra and Deborah have both moved out, and the apartment is practically empty, it hasn’t really hit me that my college years are over. Maybe I’ll start to feel it when things finally calm down. I haven’t had a free moment between spending time with my family, saying bye to friends, and cleaning out the apartment.
I’m moving out of my apartment (and leaving Cleveland) tomorrow afternoon! I packed up the majority of my stuff to put in storage in Charlottesville or take home with me for the summer to Portland, but there were still some baking ingredients left in the cupboards that needed to be used up.
I found half a bag of shredded coconut lying around, and decided that I wanted to incorporate it into a quick bread to give to my bosses on my last day at work. I actually didn’t start liking coconut until recently. Desserts like German chocolate cake or macaroons didn’t use to sound appealing to me at all, but now I LOVE them!
I also had a box of graham crackers lying around, so I decided to use those in my quick breads too. I wasn’t sure how well it would go with the coconut, but along with some cinnamon and honey, it turned out to be a yummy combo of flavors! I love it when throwing a bunch of random ingredients together turns into something delish!
This is one of the only recipes that I have ever de-healthified and de-veganized. Normally, I try to make recipes healthier by reducing fat and sugar, and using whole grains, but I had to make do with the ingredients that I had. Plus, I wasn’t sure how much my bosses would appreciate getting “health food” as a gift!🙂
Coconut Graham Cracker Bread
Source: adapted from Sweet and Natural
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and graham cracker crumbs until well combined. Add egg and honey, then mix thoroughly. Alternatively stir in dry ingredients and milk until just combined, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in the shredded coconut.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing.