The first thing most people do upon waking up on a Monday morning is hit the snooze button a few times. I never have an opportunity to do this because I almost always wake up before my alarm. But I usually do roll around in bed for a few extra minutes before starting my day.
This morning, though, I immediately jumped out of bed to make… crackers!! I know, I know. Why crackers?And not a delicious breakfast treat like scones or muffins? But I felt the urge to make crackers since I’ve been seeing so many awesome cracker recipes around lately, and I wanted to make my own!
Also, I wanted the week to get off to a good start. It’s midterms week, and I know things are going to get pretty ugly on Wednesday and Thursday. To ease myself into this exam-packed week, I decided to start it off with my favorite activity – baking!
I actually decided to make these crackers last night, and I had a hard time focusing on studying because I was so excited about making crackers in the morning! I know, I’m such a dork.
These cinnamon sugar flatbread crackers turned out so much better than I had hoped! They are crispy and crunchy, and so addictive! Jessica recommends eating them with peanut butter, but I spread my crackers with homemade sunflower seed butter instead. So. Freakin’. Delicious.
You know what else would be amazing with these crackers? Snickerdoodle Dessert Hummus!!
Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers
Source: How Sweet It Is
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons granulate sugar + 3/4 tablespoon cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and dust a large baking sheet with flour.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add water and olive oil and mix until a dough forms, using your hands at the end. Form dough into a ball.
3. Roll dough as thinly and evenly as you can with a rolling pin on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture all over top of flattened dough. Cut dough with pizza cutter or knife into small or large crackers.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Allow crackers to cool completely before removing from baking sheet.