It’s finally Friday! For some reason, I felt like this week was dragging on foreverrr. I’m SO glad that it’s over!! 🙂
The boyfriend sensed that I was having a pretty blah week (or maybe he was just tired of hearing me complain :)), so he took me out for drinks and dessert last night. I ordered the apple and almond tart with burnt caramel ice cream, which is seriously the most amazing dessert EVER. I realize I say this a lot, but I really do mean it every time! The burnt caramel ice cream is TO DIE FOR. I think I would even turn down a piece of the chocolatiest chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream for this dessert!
But that wasn’t the only treat I enjoyed that night! I’ve been pretty disciplined about limiting myself to one serving of dessert each day, but last night was an exception. 🙂 I also had a lovely vanilla crunch muffin from my therapeutic baking session earlier in the day. It was quite vanilla-y and had the most delightful crunchy topping. Yum!
Although I had two desserts (okay, three- I also had a small piece of dark chocolate!), I didn’t feel too guilty about it because the muffins were actually pretty healthy! They were made with whole wheat flour, contained no oil or butter, and were low in sugar (less than 6 grams per muffin). Also, each muffin was only about 150 calories, and provided 10% of the daily value of fiber! They’re almost too healthy to call dessert. 🙂
So basically, these are pretty much the perfect muffin – delicious AND nutritious! 🙂
Whole Wheat Vanilla Crunch Muffins
Source: adapted from How Sweet It Is
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used homemade)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, plus more for garnish
- raw coarse sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, applesauce, yogurt, egg, and vanilla until thouroughly combined.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. Gently stir in milk, then fold in the pecans.
4. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and additional pecans.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.