One thing I look forward to most about weekends is eating breakfast with the boyfriend on Saturday mornings. We don’t get to eat together very often because our schedules are so different, but I always force him to wake up early on Saturdays to eat breakfast with me. 🙂
On Friday night, I decided I wanted to make pancakes the next morning, so that’s exactly what I did! Pancakes are one of my favorite foods, but I only make them a few times each semester. I don’t know why I don’t make them more often because they’re so easy to whip up, and just plain delicious!
I decided to try a new recipe, and settled on these banana yogurt pancakes. They were REALLY good! Thick, doughy, and slightly sweet, they made a delightful breakfast drizzled with a bit of honey. Mmm 🙂
The pancakes weren’t the only new recipe I tried on Saturday. I guess I was in the mood to cook because I spent the majority of the afternoon in the kitchen. I made a pot of honey, lemon, & ginger tea, a big batch of hummus (this stuff is awesome mixed with Sriracha sauce!), and spicy chicken and potatoes.
But by far the best thing I made yesterday was Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars. Larabars are my current obsession, but they are so darn expensive that I can’t bring myself to buy them as often as I want. That’s why I was so ecstatic when I found how simple they are to make your own!
These homemade Larabars were AMAZING, and in my honest, totally unbiased opinion, even better than the real thing! 🙂 The combination of hazlenuts, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract made for a seriously delicious cookie dough flavor. These bars would be great pre/post workout fuel or on-the-go snack, but also fabulous for dessert. They really are that good!
The boyfriend was veryyy skeptical about these Larabars because he thought they would taste “too healthy”, but he ended up enjoying them a lot! I love it when I can get my McDonald’s-loving, salad-hating boyfriend to eat health food that he actually likes! 🙂
Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars
Source: adapted from Enlightened Cooking
- 2/3 cup whole pitted dates
- 1 cup hazelnuts (I toasted them, but feel free to leave them raw if you prefer!)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
1. Place the dates in a food processor and pulse until processed to a paste. Transfer date paste to a small bowl and set aside.
2. Place hazelnuts in food processor (no need to clean processor first), and pulse until finely ground. Add date paste, chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and salt to hazelnuts and pulse again until well combined.
3. Pour mixture onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic around the dough crumbs, press into a large ball, then flatten into a square about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Refrigerate for one hour before cutting into bars.