I never thought I would say this, but I think I am becoming a morning person. For the last several months, I’ve been starting my days earlier and earlier, and I’m really enjoying it! Because no one else in the suite is awake, it’s peaceful and quiet, and it’s so nice to have some time to myself in the mornings. I usually start off the day with a big mug of tea or coffee, and catch up with my favorite blogs. Sometimes I even do some baking! 🙂
This is such a huge change for me because for the first three years of college, I would literally wake up 30 minutes before class, no matter what time of day it was. I barely had enough time to brush my teeth, throw on some clothes, and scarf down my breakfast before racing to the main campus to make it to class on time.
Last Friday morning, as I was enjoying my usual cup of tea and blog surfing, I came across a recipe for giant double chocolate cookies. Doesn’t that sound like the most wonderful cookie ever? What could possibly be better than an over-sized, rich chocolate cookie loaded with chocolate chips? Not much, in my opinion! 🙂
Although I LOVE chocolate, I don’t bake with it too often because two of my suitemates are not chocolate eaters. So if I make a chocolate dessert, I end up eating it most of it by myself! But I was dreaming about these cookies nonstop ever since I saw the recipe, so I just HAD to have them. I finally got a chance to make them on Monday night, and they were absolutley divine!
These cookies are best when slightly underbaked, and eaten while still warm with a tall glass of cold milk. If you are a chocolate lover, make these cookies immediately! It’s for your own good. 🙂
Giant Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (I didn’t have any, so I just used regular unsweetened cocoa powder.)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well-incorporated. Mix in cocoa powder until thoroughly combined. Add flour, salt, and baking powder, and beat until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
3. Transfer dough to a clean work surface and knead by hand gently to ensure even distribution of ingredients.
4. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place on prepared baking sheets. Slightly flatten each dough ball into a disc.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transfering to wire rack to cool completely.