What’s your first thought upon waking up in the morning? Mine is usually something like, “I’m starving! Time for some oatmeal STAT!” or “Hmm, I wonder what I should bake today?” On Saturday morning, I woke up thinking that blueberry and almond are a match made in heaven, and that I wanted some cheesecake that included both of those flavors. So random! 🙂
My Google search didn’t come up with anything that interested my tastebuds, so I decided to create my own recipe. Now, I rarely do this because I’m not really confident in my baking skills and I’ve had more failures in the kitchen than I care to admit. Plus, I’m a little Type A and need to follow instructions to a T. Trial and error and estimation DO NOT work for me.
So I decided to keep things as uncomplicated as possible when attempting to create almond cheesecake squares topped blueberry sauce. I made a very simple cheesecake filling with a touch of almond extract, and I used a regular graham cracker crust, just replacing some of the graham cracker crumbs with almond meal. The blueberry topping that I made was so easy that I can’t even really call it a sauce.
I was somewhat concerned that this would be another baking flop, so I was thrilled that this dessert turned out so well! The nutty flavor of the cheesecake was scrumptious, and the sweet blueberry sauce was absolutely delightful. I only made a small pan of the cheesecake squares, but next time I’m definitely going to double the recipe in a 9×13 inch pan. They were gone much to quickly for my taste! 🙂
Almond Cheesecake Squares with Blueberry Sauce
Source: an original
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
For the sauce:
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil across the bottom and up two opposite sides of the pan.
2. To make the crust, combine graham cracker crumbs, almond meal, sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl. Toss with a fork until all crumbs are moistened and all ingredients are evenly mixed.
3. Press graham cracker mixture firmly and evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
4. To make the filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, and almond extract in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in egg until fully incorporated.
5. Pour cheesecake filling into prepared crust and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes. Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares and serving.
6. To make the blueberry sauce, place frozen blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for about 8 minutes, then stir in cornstarch/water mixture until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.