It’s no secret that I love sweets. Dessert is my favorite meal of the day, and I can never seem to resist a sugar craving. Although I eat a fairly healthy diet overall, it definitely wouldn’t hurt me to cut back on sweets. Ever since I started blogging 3 months ago, my sugar intake has become a little excessive. This blog encourages me to bake more, which results in having more tempting desserts around the house that are just impossible to resist!
There is no way that I can limit my baking, because I enjoy it so much, but I do think I can make better choices about what I bake. Instead of making cakes or cookies all the time, I am going to focus on baking some healthier (but still delicious!) treats. I will try to bake more breakfast foods like pumpkin cranberry apple baked oatmeal or banana walnut whole wheat bread pudding AT LEAST 25% of the time, which I think is a reasonable goal to start with.
Also, I really need to work on my self-control around sweets. Sometimes I will eat five cookies in one sitting. Or substitute a slice of chocolate peanut butter torte for lunch. Or have a milkshake and call it dinner. These habits make me crave even more sugar, and limit my intake of more nutritious foods. So in the next few weeks, you can expect to see recipes featuring more whole grains and fiber, and less fat and sugar… but not today🙂
Remember my aunt’s amazing cranberry sauce that I told you about in my last post? I made sure to bring home the leftovers, and for the last few days, I’ve been eating it with EVERYTHING. I’ve mixed the cranberry sauce with plain greek yogurt, had it on a slice of whole grain bread with some leftover turkey, topped my oatmeal with it, and even had some straight out of the container with a spoon.🙂
Even though I’ve been having a little at every meal, there was still quite a bit of cranberry sauce leftover yesterday morning. I didn’t want such deliciousness to end up in the trash, so I decided to use it up in baking.🙂 After a quick search, I found a recipe for these Cranberry Upside Down Muffins, which turned out to be fabulous! It’s a miracle that I was able to limit myself to just one muffin!🙂
Cranberry Upside Down Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup leftover cranberry sauce (you may need to reduce sauce over stove if it is too runny)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place rack in middle of oven. Generously grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter in microwave. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter.
5. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the milk mixture. With a rubber spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients over and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Evenly divide the cranberry sauce among 12 muffin cups (about 1 heaping tablespoon per cup). Spoon muffin batter over cranberry sauce.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven, or until very lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
8. Place on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes, and then invert muffins onto the rack so cranberry topping is face up. Cool completely and store in airtight container.