After a week of eating LOTS of oatmeal (sometimes twice a day) and at nearly every restaurant within walking distance of our apartment, I’m happy to report that we finally have food in our suite again! I’m so glad because the majority of food options on campus are not too healthy, and greasy fast food is really not my kind of thing. Except for French fries. I loveee French fries!
Because I was deprived of fresh fruits and vegetables for so long (French fries don’t count!), I felt pretty gross all last week. After most dinners, I felt like I had consumed a gigantic grease ball. I didn’t even really feel like eating sweets (crazy, I know) because of all the artery-clogging food I was consuming. Also, the majority of the food I ate last week was some shade of brown. French fries, veggie burger, falafel, chocolate, oatmeal, and oatmeal, and more oatmeal.
As of last night, we’re back to having our more colorful and well-rounded meals, and we now have plenty of eggs and dairy products to bake with! It was really painful not being able to bake last week. I scoured the Internet for desserts that didn’t require eggs or dairy products and came across a lot of vegan recipes. I considered trying them out (I was desperate!), but really didn’t want to sacrifice taste or texture in my desserts, so I decided against it.
Thankfully, I remembered that I had this awesome recipe for Chocolate Graham Toffee Bark in my inbox. I tried it for the first time about a year ago when someone brought it to a Koinonia Game Night. OMG, it was so good! I asked for the recipe right away, but have only made it once since because it is way too addictive. It’s a good thing you have to store these in the refrigerator – keeping them out of sight prevents me from finishing the whole batch in one night!
Chocolate Graham Toffee Bark
Source: adapted from Peggy Trowbridge Filippone
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granualted sugar
- 1/2 box (about) whole graham crackers
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 15X10 inch jelly roll pan with nonstick foil.
2. Arrange whole graham crackers to fit the bottom of the pan in a single layer, breaking up the last few crackers to fit the space.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow mixture to simmer for 4 minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from heat and pour mixture evenly over the graham cracker layer. Spread with a spoon to cover. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
5. Remove pan from oven and allow bubbling to subside. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Wait two minutes for chocolate to melt, then use a rubber spatula to gently spread chocolate chips in an even layer on top of the graham crackers.
6. Sprinkle chocolate with chopped hazelnuts and press them down gently into the chocolate.
7. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for 2 hours. Peel foil from bark and break into pieces.